In fact, the more you incorporate focused practice into your routine, the more mentally drained you will feel.
On the flip side, the more you utilize focused practice, the better you will get at music and at a very remarkable pace.
So, the real question is how do you push past the pain and find motivation to practice?
Study Someone You Want To Become
I’m not talking about passively watching someone you want to be more like. I mean really study them.
One key way to igniting your inner motivation is to fill your mind full of role models. Who is it that you want to become?
Figure out who this is and then stare at them deeply to see what it is they can do that you would like to be able to do. Say to yourself, “If they can do it, so can I.”
Pictures Ignite Your Inner Motivation
Surround yourself with as many pictures of your favorite stars as possible. Here are a few ideas on how to do this:
- Put posters up on your walls.
- Carry a picture in your purse, pocket, wallet, or instrument case.
- Keep a picture with your music materials. Tape it into the inside of your book if you have to.
- Place a picture on your stand or up on the piano while you practice.
- Change your computer’s wall paper and screen saver.
- Include a picture on your phone’s wall paper.
- Watch a YouTube video of your favorite performer right before you practice and at night before you go to bed.
This mental imagery reminds you why you are doing what you are doing and how, with enough focused practice, you can become this too.
Listening Sparks Motivation Too
Just as pictures help focus our minds on what we truly want to accomplish, listening to music can do this too. Try some of these ideas to get you started:
- Turn on the radio.
- Listen to your favorites on CD’s, an MP3 player, through your computer, or over the internet.
- Create a list of your favorite YouTube videos and view them often.
- Attend as many live performances as possible.
- Close your eyes when listening and imagine yourself performing this very piece.
Just as athletes listen to certain types of music to get mentally prepared before the big game, you can do this too before every practice session.
Creativity is Important
Be as creative as possible in getting those reminders out in front of you regularly. If you don’t know where you’re going, you will probably never get there.
Take the time to find your direction and set your mind on getting there…